I’m new to living in the Russian River area. Used to camp here in the past, but now live in Forestville, and looking for new local friends. I have friends, but they’re spread out over several Bay Area counties. I play drums in two bands regularly, and a couple of others occasionally. I’m the exception to the drummer rule- I arrive at shows an rehearsals on time and sober, have reliable transportation, rarely make it past beer #2, don’t smoke anything while playing, and despite not having a girlfriend, I’m not homeless.
Living on disability, I don’t have much money for widgets, useless trinkets, and premium cable TV. As to the disability, you probably wouldn’t notice it at first. Too many water ski jump crashes, mountain bike crashes, a couple of yard sales on 2x black diamond bump runs at Kirkwood, and a head on car wreck** have led me to a more sedate lifestyle. When not playing at rehearsals, sessions, or shows, I spend way too much time surfing mindlessly on the internet (but getting better, though, really!) That and Criminal Minds reruns takes up much of my time. In the wintertime, anyhow.
I like working out in the yard and the garden, playing backgammon and chess, baseball (I write for a baseball blog that gets over 10k hits/mo), writing, reading, and watching DVD movies. I’m not really into Rocky/Rambo/Ah-nold & Bruce Willis smash-em-up thrillers or gratuitous violence, rather I like quality psychothrillers that challenge your mind (hence Criminal Minds; also NCIS, Law & Order, and CSI), old Bogey movies, and adult comedies (‘About Schmidt’, fr’instance.) I’ve read many baseball books, The Hobbit and LotR I-II-III, Jimmy Buffett, Edward Abbey, Dave Foreman, and John Muir. Currently reading Kerouac’s ‘The Town and The City.’ My politics are far left, but I’m not really active right now, outside of voting.
I used to go to tons of jam band, jazz, and bluegrass shows, but these days I prefer going out when I’m playing. I’ve got a daughter who just graduated high school and moved back in with her mother after 3+ years of living with me. (Nothing toxic in the ex department, we actually get along better now than when we were married.) I rarely drink anymore. I’m 420 friendly and legal, too, but no tobacco! Yuk.
If you’re still reading, well then… I have an extra ticket to see Marley’s Ghost at the Sebastopol Community Center, Saturday, February 6th. Meet first some afternoon somewhere in the Sebastopol, Forestville, or Guerneville area for coffee, tea, or one of those infrequent beers I mentioned?







No comments:
Post a Comment