walstib, ykwim?

What a long strange trip indeed:
RI -> FL -> RI -> MA -> RI -> CA -> TN -> CA -> ?
Horror stories from the past, to current trials and tribulations; from my takes on the environment, baseball, overpopulation, hippies, jam bands, politics, neurological disorders, sex, religion (yikes!), big money, and pop culture, to future speculations and musings on life after employment; with liberal amounts of sarcasm and dry humour on the side.

Saturday, August 8, 2026

David Edwin Maciel - not me, no relation

I sent the following to the Florida State University Campus Recreation Department in 2024. I want to send it to the Florida Flambeau, American Water Ski Association, and major newspapers in that state.


To the Campus Recreation Staff,

My names is David JOHN Maciel. I graduated from Florida State University in 1981. During my time there, I was very active with the FSU Water Ski Club and two time nationally 4th ranked Water Ski Team. I was vice president of the club one year, and was on the team during all of my time at FSU, including the 1st Intercollegiate National Water Ski Championship Tournament, in which we finished in 4th place. 

That is who I am. I am writing to inform as many organizations and people relevant to my time in Florida that I can to not confuse me with David EDWIN Maciel of Clearwater, FL. We were both born in the same year but different months, and are of similar height, hair color, and complexion. 

He has a dubious history which is why I am trying to distance myself from him as much as possible. I now live in Sonoma County, California. I have been living in California continually since 1985, except for a brief four months in 1986. I have not been in the state of Florida since 1988. I was horrified to discover a convict with such similarities to me. I sincerely hope that no one I knew or skied with discovered his name and remarked to oneself or to others, "hey, did you hear what happened to Maciel?!" 

Not me. Two very different people. As I near the back end of my time in this realm, I wish to emphasize the distinction. 

Thank you for reading this, and know that it was not David EDWIN Maciel on the FSU campus or Lake Bradford Reservation. 

David JOHN Maciel 
Sonoma County, CA  

No comments: