walstib, ykwim?

What a long strange trip indeed:
RI -> FL -> RI -> MA -> RI -> CA -> TN -> CA -> ?
Horror stories from the past, to current trials and tribulations; from my takes on the environment, baseball, overpopulation, hippies, jam bands, politics, neurological disorders, sex, religion (yikes!), big money, and pop culture, to future speculations and musings on life after employment; with liberal amounts of sarcasm and dry humour on the side.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bristol Revisited

I grew up in Bristol years ago and go back to RI for visits every other year, or so.

I was shocked to see all the new houses on Narrows and Annawamscutt Roads several years ago, and now there are tons more on Metacomet Avenue as well. The traffic is unbelievably horrendous on that road. I hope I never hear of anyone on the zoning board complain about the traffic on Metacomet Avenue. The town has allowed these huge McMansions to be squeezed into every last lot into the Narrows area, an area that used to be a very nice small beachside community that was far removed from bright urban lights and suburban sidewalks. Who are the politicians who let all those eyesores blight that neighborhood? King Philip Avenue (posted speed limit – 15 mph) has turned into a drag strip. There used to be a couple of houses that had neon palm trees on their patios! Neon palm trees?! Huh?! I didn’t see them this year, but what in the world were those people thinking when they put them up?! Bristol is NOT Florida! There is a house on the waterfront with a seawall in front it that has fallen into such disrepair that the next good storm that comes along will knock it down, sending the house into Mt. Hope Bay and dragging neighbors down with it. I’m really surprised that the CRMC hasn’t stepped in and done something about it yet.

Bristol newbies are not Bristolians, they are Bristolites (Bristol-lites.)

I had considered moving back there, but that notion has completely disappeared now. I thought about it a couple of years ago, but naah. Nice place to visit, but…



Note~ I have been considering sending this post to the Bristol Phoenix and Providence Journal editors, but fear that there could be some retribution against my family who still live there after seeing plenty of riff-raff that has moved into the ol' neighborhood.

No comments: