walstib, ykwim?

What a long strange trip indeed:
RI -> FL -> RI -> MA -> RI -> CA -> TN -> CA -> ?
Horror stories from the past, to current trials and tribulations; from my takes on the environment, baseball, overpopulation, hippies, jam bands, politics, neurological disorders, sex, religion (yikes!), big money, and pop culture, to future speculations and musings on life after employment; with liberal amounts of sarcasm and dry humour on the side.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Tobacco Sucks, big time

My grandfather died of emphysema when he was 72 yo. Before he died, he used to take my oldest brother around to all the rental properties we used to own and showed him how to do anything with tools. My brother could build a house from scratch, I'm sure. And he learned to smoke tobacco from him, too.
My brother and I used to go to water ski tournaments every weekend in the summer and his 1st wife and I and a few others would train during the week. He moved to TN with his family, I moved to CA. Neither of us are involved in organized water skiing any longer. Moving to a red state corrupted his political compass, as we are now on opposite sides of the political spectrum. But he's still my brother.
I got word last night that he has lung cancer and has about 2 to 4 months to live. I cried for about an hour last night. If you'll excuse me, I need to find a way to get to TN soon. I also have to renew my crusade against tobacco.
Could someone please explain why tobacco is legal and marijuana is not?

2 comments:

Matt said...

sorry to hear about this, cigarette companies are pure evil.

PaidiaK said...

No baby, sadly I cannot explain why... other than the ususal BS... money and politics. My prayers are with you friend.